In the shade and the wind the back patio of the Mosquito Café was quite chilly when we registered.
Cute crab wasn’t on the list of wood sculptures that the walk directions highlighted.
This mermaid was listed and it is beginning to look a little worse for the passage of time.
Very nice metal fence encircles the park where checkpoint #1 was located.
House decorated for Marti Gras
Carol and Freya with a fence decorated with Marti Gras beads.
One side of a new statue in the park (not on the directions).
Other side of the same tree stump.
Built ca. 1889 by Liberty S. McKinney, this house has been in bad need of repair since Hurricane Ike in 2008. I was so pleased to see it has a new roof and repairs are underway for this grand old Victorian style home with its bay windows and lavish ornamentation.
This dolphin was a little off the walk route.
These beauties need to be lavished with some oil and varnish to preserve them
It looks as though these were varnished with black rather than the golden brown others have been covered in.
This guitar wasn’t listed on the walk route instructions.
Couldn’t find any information on this one.
Toad sporting some Marti Gras beads.
This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry. In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later consul in Germany. Constructed with double brick walls, the house withstood the 1900 storm and other hurricanes.
This Danish castle design home was built in 1890 for John Clement Trube, who came to Galveston from Kiel, Denmark. “The Castle” is still owned and occupied by members of Trube family.
Marti Gras flamingo decorates a porch.
This one needs some preservation also.
Carol and Freya ventured down to the beach.
Freya’s first visit to the coast.
Markers for the original seawall.
In the 1940s there was an original Pleasure Pier that was destroyed by Hurricane Carla. The amusement park was replaced by a hotel that lasted until Hurrican Ike in 2008. In 2013 the hotel’s remains were finally razed and a new Pleasure Pier was built complete with roller coaster and ferris wheel.
Ursuline Convent in the Civil War. They nursed wounded from both sides of the battle.
Monument to the heroes of the Texas Revolution of 1836 is located in the center of the intersection of 25th and Broadway.
The George Sealy mansion is a neo-Renaissance style house completed 1889-1890 for local businessman George Sealy. In 1979 the house was transferred to the UT Medical School for use as a conference center.
Galveston City Hall built completed in 1916 in the Italian Palazzo design. It still serves as city hall.
First Lutheran Church, frame Gothic church built in 1868.
This United States Post Office and Courthouse was built in 1937 in the Art Deco style using porous fossiliferous limestone common to this coastal area.
Santa Fe Station completed in 1915. The original brick Union Station (1887) was demolished to make way for it. Remodeled in 1932, the tall central tower was added. The last passenger train left Galveston in 1967. This is now a railroad museum and office building for the Moody Foundation.
J. F. Smith and Brothers Building (circa 1870) – Strand Historic District
A compass rose in Saengerfest Park on the Strand serves as a resting bench.
Wood carving of a Cigar Store Indian.
Customs House completed in 1861. The extensive use of cast iron in its construction likely accounted for the building’s survival of the 1885 Galveston fire. During the Civil War, the Confederate Army occupied the building. In 1865 it was the site of the ceremony officially ending the war in Galveston. It is now the offices of the Galveston Historical Foundation.
Just a nice old home near the finish.