We parked at the pink building (Chamber of Commerce) and walked over this bridge in the park to reach the Onion Shed where our walk started. The Onion Shed was restored in 2002 and is one of several such sheds in Farmersville. These sheds were built by the railroads for the packing and shipping of Collin County Sweets. The Collin County Sweets were mild onions, popular for their sweet flavor. In 1925 local farmers began planting onion crops and by 1935 Farmersville was known as the “Onion Capitol of North Texas.” The onion industry in Farmersville declined however as growers in south and west Texas developed onion varieties suitable for their soil and climate conditions. These new varieties were not as perishable as Collin County Sweets and were easier to ship so Farmersville lost its title to “Onion Capitol”.
Walk start volunteers at the Onion Shed.
In Memory of All Confederate Soldiers. Erected by Stonewall Jackson Chapter 1208
Farmersville, Tex. 1917. A.D.
Carol and Freya, decorated for St. Patrick’s Day.
Heading out on the Audie Murphy Trail.
Section near downtown is lined with pretty lights.
Another nice trail marker.
Volksmarcher headed back into town.
Ed crossing the bridge made of railroad ties.
Checkpoint and time to turn around and head back on the trail towards town.
Volksmarchers headed out to the checkpoint.
Bonnie, Helen, Mackey, and Deborah doing the volksmarch together.
Volksmarchers from Irving.
Marilyn and Miranda
Kathy and Les stopped to pet Freya.
Lots of homes were equipped with storm cellars.
The town has lots of big old homes.
Queen-Anne style home built in 1893. They extensively remodeled the house in 1910 in a Neoclassical style, adding a full second floor and two-story porch with Doric columns and oblong balcony. (from Historical Marker)
House was built in 1865. In 1902, three peaked gables and a narrow porch were replaced by an asymmetrical facade and new porch, and the northeast bedrooms were extended. (from Historical Marker)
This Romanesque Revival structure, built in 1888-89, housed a second story fraternal hall above a first floor mercantile. One of the oldest surviving buildings in Farmersville, it features locally quarried limestone, narrow double-hung windows, an arched second story window, and a corbelled pressed metal parapet. Two Grand Masters of the Grand Lodge of Texas were from the local Masonic lodge, chartered in 1858. The lodge met here until 1966, and the Farmersville Times newspaper has officed here since 1956. (From Historical Marker)
Memorial to all branches of the military.
Audie Murphy marker.
Historical marker with wrong information. Audie Murphy was only 16 when he enlisted in the army.
Another checkpoint location.
WPA Mural in the Post Office.
This church building was constructed in 1900. A combination of several architectural styles, the brick edifice is topped by a roof of pressed metal. The exterior walls of the sanctuary form a multisided projection flanked by matching towers with steeply pitched roofs. The bell from the 1877 church was transferred to the north belfry. Educational buildings were added in 1938 and 1955-56. (from Historical Marker)
Audie Murphy Movie poster. Don’t remember ever seeing this one.
Old Movie Theatre that sports the Audie Murphy movie posters.
Maggie (Plano Walkers club President) standing behind AVA SW Regional Director, Joanne and her husband Carlen at the finish table at the Onion Shed.