It is a long drive out to East Texas so we didn’t get there to start the walk until 10:30am. It was already 80 degrees.
The walk registration was at the Longview Police Department.
A memorial on the front lawn of the Longview Police Department honors those officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.
Longview Public Library
Walking down Cotton Street.
Lewis-Bivins House circa 1895.
First Baptist Church
Art in a pocket park that reminded us of “pick up sticks”
Interesting Historical Marker.
Gregg County Historical Museum. Built in 1910 to house the Citizens National Bank, this structure is the only example of classical revival commercial architecture in Longview.
Crochet decorated lamp post.
WPA built Post Office.
WPA mural inside the post office.
First United Methodist Church.
We peeked inside. Note the pipe organ behind the pulpit.
Tree had tried to eat a fence.
Band Stand in Teague Park
Teague family graveyard in Teague park. Although they had 10 children, they have no living descendants today.
Pond in Teague Park.
One of several veteran’s memorial under construction in Teague park.
Turtles sunning themselves in the pond.
Merchant Marine Marker
The walk continued into the Nuggett residential area which is a National Historical District. The first pictures are of just one house and the yard around it.
The neighboring houses while impress don’t have the yards that this one does.
Leaving the Nuggett area we head back toward the start/finish at the police station.
First Christian Church
Trinity Episcopal Church
Confederate Monument on Courthouse Lawn.
Gregg County has had three courthouses: 1879, 1897 and 1932. This current one was built by the WPA.
A more modern war memorial.
Not sure what the mural represents.
It was 92 degrees when we finished the walk! We enjoyed our tour of the interesting city of Longview!