Another AVA Convention trip is in the history books. We are home and settling back into our normal routine. There were no regular events this weekend because of the holiday (Happy 4th of July!). We went up to Stephenville to walk a Seasonal Event that just started on July 1. It will run through December 31. We met up with my daughter and her friend. All registered and we’re ready to begin the walk.
The walk went into City Park.
Which was also the staging area for the 4th of July Parade.
We walked past the Erath County Courthouse, the work of noted architect J. Riely Gordon, is a beautiful example of Romanesque Revival design. This is the county’s third courthouse and it was completed in 1892. It had restoration done in 2002.
Information on the building below from its historical marker: “Built in 1889 to house the city’s first bank, this is the earliest of three structures on the town square designed by prominent San Antonio architect J. Riely Gordon. It features elaborate stonework and large arches typical of Romanesque Revival architecture and a Queen Anne style tower and pedimented entrance. The bank, organized by C. J. Shapard and with assets in excess of $158,000 by 1893, merged with Farmers National Bank in 1925 due to depressed oil and cattle prices.”
Below is a couple of cowboy memorials in the sidewalk on Columbia Street.
We continued on to Tarleton University Campus.
Hunewell Bandstand: A 2001 replica of a 1927 bandstand that was razed in 1963.
Tarleton State University Military Memorial.
A teacher memorial.
Another war memorial.
From the historical marker: “This home was built on the Tarleton State University campus in 1923 to serve as the residence of the college’s chief executive officer. Originally called the Dean’s Home, it was first occupied by the family of J. Thomas Davis, who is credited with designing the house. Exhibiting Mediterranean style influences, the home was built of native stone by local and student workers at a cost of $8,000.”
Artwork above the entrance to the Joe W. Autry Building.
“ULTRA” by Artist John Gregg stands alongside the Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center.
Another of the University Buildings.
The walk passes by the West End Cemetery.
We’re in the home stretch. Almost finished with the event.