We haven’t walked this Year Round Event since 2012 so we decided it was time to revisit the town of Huntsville. We registered at the Sam Houston Museum gift shop and headed out.
In 1862, after Sam Houston left governorship of Texas, he rented Steamboat House, and here he died in 1863. His funeral was held in the upstairs parlor. This house was moved here and restored.
Rock wall rumored to have built by the WPA.
Gazebo on the museum grounds.
We left the museum grounds behind and walked residential streets passing this really nice home.
English native George Robinson (1820-1888), formerly of the Galveston News, moved to Huntsville by 1846 and began printing the Huntsville Item on August 20, 1850.
Current location of the Huntsville Item newspaper.
Old Printing Press outside the newspaper office.
Born a slave and reared on the Alabama plantation of the Lea family, Joshua Houston was brought to Texas in 1840 by Margaret Lea and Sam Houston.
Constructed between 1859 and 1862 by James H. Thomason, this is one of the oldest homes in Walker County.
I detoured from the walk route into Founders Park and found this sculpture representing Native Americans at a recreated spring. There was a spring here in the early 1800’s when Huntsville was first settled.
Woman’s head with flowing hair by Artist David Adickes is on display next to his studio/museum.
Memorial to James Gillaspie, who fought for the interest of Texas in THREE wars, serving THREE different countries.
Center portion of the memorial at Sam Houston’s grave.
Entrance to Oakwood Cemetery next to Sam Houston’s grave.
Path through the cemetery.
Main entrance to Oakwood Cemetery.
Memorial in honor and memory of veterans of all wars sit on a corner of the Walker County courthouse square.
Confederate War Memorial on courthouse lawn.
Another markers as we circle the courthouse square is the 1936 Texas Centennial Marker
Gazebo on the last corner of the courthouse square.
Cornerstone from old courthouse.
Interesting historical marker.
One of 25 lodges started during the Republic of Texas. Forrest Lodge No. 19 was chartered on Jan. 11, 1844.
The Town Theatre opened in 1947 and closed in 1974 . Reopened in 2002 as the J. Philip Gibbs Jr. Centre for the Performing Arts.
“The Walls Unit” Huntsville State Prison 1848.
Inmates, slaves, and free men worked in the penitentiary textile factory, main source of cloth goods for Confederate Southwest.
The mural gives highlights from the life of Sam Houston who was a frontiersman, the commander of the battle at San Jacinto, Governor of the State of Texas, Chief of the Cherokees, and living in the steamboat house when he died.
Take a Look on the Wild Side by Kat Black (2011)
Belvin Hall constructed by the WPA was the first student residence constructed on the campus of Sam Houston State University, then called Sam Houston State Teachers College.
Elizabeth Elliott Hall women’s dormitory.
The Rainbow Walker sculpture is hiding in trees, but overlooks the parking lot on the western edge of Bowers Stadium.
Bronze sculpture on the campus of Sam Houston University dedicated to Frances Handley Bowers wife of Elliott T. Bowers, 9th president of Sam Houston State University.
An abstract piece near the Performing Arts Center (two people? man and woman?) named Double-Double.
Life Size statue of Sam Houston by David Adickes that matches his 67′ version that stands along I-45.
SHSU Clock Tower with bells on the mall.
Fountain on the Mall.
“President’s Tree” is a Southern Magnolia planted in front of the University President’s residence.
This sixteen-foot Howard clock was installed in 2003. It has the letters that make up the name “Sam Houston” in place of the numbers.
Dan Rather Communications Building was dedicated in 1994. Dan Rather who anchored the CBS Evening News for many years is an alumni of SHSU. He graduated August 1953.
Posing with “Old Main” and Sam Houston statue.
Bronze statue of Sam Houston is on the Smithsonian Art Inventory.
SHSU Coed Residence Hall
Inside the rotunda museum is a collection of artifacts and manuscripts belonging to Sam Houston, and a few of his personal effects.
This pond/lake is rumored to have been dug by the WPA.
Sam Houston and his wife Margaret (Lea) built this house, “Woodland”, in 1847. Four of their eight children were born here.
Information plaque about “Woodland”