Todays adventure included a walk through historic downtown Belton and through the lovely Mary Hardin Baylor Campus.
Leaving Confederate Park
Courthouse clock shows we headed out right at 7am when it was still fairly cool.
We visit a creekside park with this sign.
Above the sign is this weight bench.
We begin a circle of the courthouse square. We pass this obelisk “Dedicated In This Our 200th Year Of Independence To All Bell County Veterans Of All Wars”
This Medallion and Plate, set on a limestone block (or concrete made to look like limestone) by the courthouse steps commemorates the building’s restoration.
1873-1884 Jail. At some point it was remodeled into a house. It is currently for sale.
Martha McWhirter House
H.A. & Helena Ware House
We have arrived at the UMHB Campus.
Some of the Art on the Townsend Memorial Library
The plaque reads:
THE LIVING FLAME
MARTHA SMIRL COOPER
ALUMNAE PRESIDENT 1966-1972
BY CARROLL COOPER
BRENT & KENT COOPER
The walk leaves the campus and does a loop in a nice residential area.
Professor Charles Wedemeyer, a Baylor graduate, taught school here 1886 until 1911.
Just an attractive home.
Hitching Post in front of the Ferguson House.
We crossed these tracks twice.
One of the Baggett Houses
The other Baggett house.
We return to the UMHB Campus where we circle a small lake in a park.
One of several markers at the entrance to Millennium Oaks Park.
Fountain in the park lake.
Assumed to be the Millennium Oak…. no sign.
Gazebo in the Park as we leave to head toward the UMHB Campus.
UMHB started out as a woman’s college. This statue commemorates that.
A better view of the stadium.
We leave the campus behind and head back to our car in Confederate Park.
The old Carnegie Library is now the Bell County Museum.
Back by the courthouse on the way to our car.
A sign on the courthouse lawn.