Liberty, TX has the first true replica of the original Liberty Bell in Philadelphia as it was first cast. Liberty’s bell weighs 2,016 pounds and was made at the Whitechapel Foundry in London in 1960.
Liberty Bell as seen in 2004 before it was demolished.
A bell tower was built in time to honor the 200th anniversary of our nation’s founding. In 2009 the Bell Tower had to be demolished because of structural problems. The Liberty Rotary Club is currently selling concrete Liberty Bells for $300 to be delivered to any home or business near Liberty, Texas to raise funds to build a new tower.
We made a day trip to visit Liberty, TX which is the county seat of Liberty County. This is a new walk location but not a new county for us. We did the 6K (short) version of the walk. The walk started at the Chamber of Commerce.
Walking tour starts here.
Gazebo named after Vera Daniels, local leading citizen. Built in 2005.
The Park Theater was built in 1938 and continued as a movie theater for many years. In 1993 it was reopened as the Liberty Opera, offering live Branson style entertainment.
Rotary Club Clock located on the grounds of City Hall in Liberty.
1931 Art Deco style courthouse is the 7th for the county.
Historical Marker about the counties 7 courthouses next to the cornerstone of the 6th courthouse.
From 1838 to 1855, Sam Houston practiced law in Liberty, maintaining an office on this site across from the Courthouse Square.
Pretty office building with cement bell.
Building adorned with Frieze Art.
Texas and New Orleans RR Depot, well preserved but empty.
Opened in 1928 to accommodate the numerous passengers from the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, the Ott Hotel thrived during Liberty’s prosperous oil boom days. Reported to be haunted.
Carol and Ed reading the marker for the Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural Center.
One of several Tulip trees scattered around town that are in bloom.
Headed inside the New Post Office to see the mural.
1939 WPA mural entitled “Story of the Big Fish”.
In 1848 the town’s trustees selected this location for a community burial ground.
In 1853 the Rev. Petrus Marie LaCour came to this area. He served as the first pastor of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. Acting on behalf of the Galveston Diocese, he purchased this site as a burial ground for Catholic settlers of the county.
Nice older home high enough it won’t flood.
Cement bell in the yard of a UT supporter.
Old 1930’s style post office of light colored brick is now an insurance office.
5th sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church which was organized in 1840.
One of the oldest existing structures in Liberty, this home was built in 1860 by Judge Cleveland.
Former home of Gov Bill Daniels. (Governor of Guam, not Texas)
Henry and Bridgett Ager Home is a two story classical revival-style home features cypress construction, a wraparound gallery and railing, and decorative gables and transoms.
Liberty Masonic Lodge No. 48
Headed back to the start/finish we again passed the courthouse square and this unique marker with the history of the area.