Stephenville has a Year Round Event that can be walked at any time by registering, paying a $3.00 per person fee and picking up a set of directions . We, however, registered and then went off on our own to explore Stephenville. This is what we found.
It was foggy as we head out.
Passing the softball field in City Park.
A brick gazebo in a section of City Park designated as Century Park.
An amphitheater in City Park.
Recreation Hall at City Park was built in 1938 by the WPA.
Lovely light fixtures on the recreation hall.
WPA cornerstone on the Recreation Hall.
Masonic Lodge #267 chartered in 1861. This “new” building was built in 1973.
Cornerstone from 1913 Lodge building.
Ye-oh, sic’em! Mural depicts how a parrot caused a cattle stampede destroying the village of Stephenville in 1870.
First National Bank building circa 1889. Now home to Julianne’s Gifts.
Romanesque Revival style, this courthouse was completed in 1892.
Farmers National Bank built in 1908. Now a law office.
Oldest home in Stephenville was built in 1869. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is part of the Historic Museum.
Oxford House at the Historic Museum is a lovely Victorian built in 1899.
Old Presbyterian Church built in 1900 moved to Historic Museum grounds in 1966.
Big Bad Wolf – stood above the Wolfe Nursery sign for 45 years. Now resides at the Historic Museum.
Old Center Grove two room school moved to the Historic Museum in 1986.
Log cabin displayed at the Historic Museum.
Prairie Schooner and Surrey on display at the Historic Museum.
Log cabin at the Historic Museum.
Crow Opera House built around 1892.
Old Rexall Drug sign on a building that is no longer a pharmacy.
Public Library was built by the WPA in 1935 as a US Post Office.
Methodist Church – domed Beaux Arts style – completed in 1917.
Stained glass windows in the Methodist Church.
Another Methodist Church window.
Altar of the Methodist Church.
Another look at the Methodist Church.
The Erath Arches were constructed in honor of soldier, surveyor and legislator George B. Erath (1813 – 1891), for whom Erath County was named in 1856.