We went up to Stephenville to walk the 6K Year Round Event. The walk started at a motel and headed into the historic downtown.
WPA constructed Recreation Hall.
Stephenville Lodge No 267 A.F. & A.M. – lodge erected in 1973.
Young Building erected in 1896.
A distinctive rendition of the Romanesque Revival style, this courthouse, completed in 1892 features striking use of locally-quarried limestone accented with Pecos sandstone.
Moo-La is the name of the fiberglass Holstein cow statue in the center of Stephenville. Erath County is the “No. 1 Dairy County in Texas.”
F.A. Schnabel had this 2-story brick building erected 1897-99. Schnabel personally hauled the brick for this building to Stephenville from the Thurber brick plant.
City hall occupies the remodeled Stephenville State Bank building which was built in 1953.
Brick service station currently houses “Soup and More”.
Architect Mark Lemmon of Dallas designed this Art Deco U.S. Post Office building which was a 1935 WPA project.
Art Deco office building with glass brick.
Former First Baptist Church with Temple front erected in 1926. Now used for preschool classes.
First Christian Church erected in 1966.
Entrance gates to Tarleton State University – a public co-educational university and a member of the Texas A&M System.
A 2001 replica of the 1927 Hunewell Bandstand that was razed in 1963.
Entrance to Tarleton State University Military Memorial
Bas-relief art on the E.J. Howell Education Building.
1902 Cannon on permanent display on the university campus.
Bas-relief steer (sheep?) above the entrance to Joe W. Autry Agricultural Building.
Ultra – dedicated to Dean J. Thomas Davis on April 6, 1982. Dean Davis was head of Tarleton from 1919 until 1943.
A 15′ granite obelisk in a triangular island between the roads marks the final resting place of John Tarleton, for whom Tarleton State University is named.
Lovely gates of West End Cemetery.