This tour of Waco is hosted by the Dallas Trekkers Volkssport (Walking) Club out of Dallas, TX. There is a $3.00 fee per person for doing this event.
The start point for this walking tour is at the Waco Hilton, 113 South University Parks Drive. From I-35 take exit 335B. Turn west on University Parks Drive for approximately one-half mile to the Hilton. Please use the parking lot at the corner of Franklin Ave and University Parks Drive (just across the street from the Hilton). The start/finish is self-service. The registration box is kept behind the hotel desk. Please wait until the desk clerk has taken care of the hotel guests before asking for the box.
Please complete the registration form and sign the waiver. Take a start card and directions for the walk. Follow the directions on the map correctly and you should be back at the Hilton in less than three hours. Please time your walk so as to finish before dark. Place your start cards with a check for amount due in one of the envelopes provided and drop it in the mail.
We hope you will come do our walk. Thanks for viewing.
Bronze Chisholm Trail cattle drive. Artist: Robert Summers. First placement was in 2005 with one rider and some cows. It has grown over the year to three riders and many cows. All are headed toward the Suspension Bridge.
St. Francis on the Brazos Catholic Church was completed in 1931 and is a reproduction of the Mission San Jose in San Antonio. The Clifton house next to it is a Greek Revival style mansion built in 1868. It now serves as the monastery for the priests of St. Francis. For more information visit St. Francis
McLennan County Courthouse: Built in the Victorian style with Greek style statues. It was completed in 1902. It is the counties’ 4th courthouse. If you have time to go inside they have a skylight under the dome.
Waco Hippodrome Theatre: Originally opened in 1914 as the Hippodrome. When destroyed by fire it was rebuilt with its current Mediterranean style in 1929 and was named the Waco Theatre. Current sign has both names. For more information visit Waco Hippodrome Theater.
The Alico Building is 22 stories tall (246 feet) and when completed in 1911 it was the first skyscraper in the southwest and for many years it remained the tallest building west of the Mississippi. For years the building was self-sufficient, with an electrical generator, oil wells across the Bosque River to fuel its heating system, and an artesian well for water. It is still the tallest building in Waco. It was cracked in the 1953 tornado that devastated downtown Waco. Its bottom stores have been reinforced by adding a facade. For more information visit Alico Building.
Dr Pepper Museum: The 1906 “Home of Dr Pepper” has exhibits and memorabilia. Enjoy a float, shake, or sundae at the turn-of-the century soda fountain. Open Mon-Sat. 10am-4pm. Adults $5.00. For more information visit Dr Pepper Museum.
Magnolia Market: Shopping, games, the garden and even a bite to eat. Open Mon-Sat: Market 9 am – 6 pm, Bakery 7:30 am – 6 pm, Closed on Sunday. Free admission. For more information visit Magnolia Market
1st Baptist Church of Waco: Organized in 1851 by the Rev. Noah Byars and charter members, the First Baptist Church of Waco worshipped in the meetinghouse of the First Methodist Church until their own sanctuary was built at fourth and Mary Streets in 1857. It was destroyed by fire in 1877 and was replaced by a larger building. The present house of worship was erected on this site in 1907.
The Fort House (circa 1868) was built in the Greek Revival style during the reconstruction years following the Civil War. Houses Empire and Victorian furniture and artifacts for some of Waco’s fine old homes. Open Sat.-Sun. 2pm-5pm $2.00 Admission.
Artifacts, artwork and archives relating to the Texas Rangers. Opens 9 am – Closes 5 pm. Admission: Adults: $8.00 | Children (6-12): $4.00 | Children under 6 free | Seniors (60+): $7.00 | Military (with ID): $7.00. For additional information visit Texas Ranger Museum
Moody Library-Baylor Campus: The “Central Library” is composed of Moody Memorial Library (opened 1968) and Jesse H. Jones Library (opened 1992). These two libraries, connected with a corridor on first and second floors, together serve as the main library facility on campus. It is an Academic Library open only to students, faculty and alumni.
Mayborn Museum: A natural science and cultural history museum focusing on Central Texas, with two floors of discovery rooms that encourage hands on learning. Admission: Adults $19 | Children (2-12) $13 | Seniors (65+) $16. Hours: Mon – Sat 10am – 5pm. Sunday 1pm-5pm. For additional information Mayborn .
McLane Stadium officially became the home of Baylor football on August 31, 2014, when the Bears defeated SMU 45–0.The stadium has a capacity to seat 45,140 spectators. McLane Stadium replaced Floyd Casey Stadium as the home of Baylor Football.
Washington Street Bridge: Constructed in 1901 this massive 450 foot Pennsylvania Truss Bridge carries both vehicle and pedestrian traffic over the Brazos River. Added to the National Register of Historic places in 1998. For more information visit Washington Street Bridge